Friday, February 25, 2011

Handwriting

A wonderful week!  It was my birthday on Wednesday and it has been a perfect week of dearest friends and pink cupcakes and silver sprinkles and birthday cards and blown kisses and sprawling books and floaty dresses and rainy day movies and spring tulips and silver rings and my family's handwriting--I love the light thump on the doorstep when an envelope bearing my mother's writing arrives in mid-winter.

I love my family's alphabets.  My father has extraordinarily beautiful writing; dark and slanted and elegantly scripted.  He has the sloped fountain pen writing I think Rebecca would have had.  My mother has the swooped and dashed and hurriedly looped, felt tip writing of a mom in a hurry.  My sister has the careful, precise writing of a lefty and my brother has the angular writing of someone who's thoughts move faster than the pen.  Doesn't seeing the writing of people you love make you miss them more and less at the same time?  That happens to me.  It is an indelible hug.

Also this week, the season shifted.  Just for a moment, it may not last, but just for today, it is spring.  And in other lovely news, Misha from the marvellous blog, My Love Affair with Books wrote a wonderful review!  A lovely week.

8 comments:

  1. A belated Happy Birthday, Priya! I am glad to read it was a great one.
    Thanks so much for mentioning my review :) Exit the Actress is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you for writing that wonderful review! and thank you so much for putting it on amazon as well. that helps authors so much!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have already wished you a Happy birthday but no harm in doing so again, hope you had a lovely day. It certainly sounds as though you did apart from being so far from loved ones.
    I have started Exit the Actress, could not wait any longer, despite the fact it is proving very fiddly to read on my Sony EReader! There are so many blank pages!
    Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday! I know what you mean about writing, and it's fun to know who the card/letter is from before you open it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Belated Birthday Priya! I've been following your journey and am so thrilled for you and your published book. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. linda, rachel and ameena--thank you!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Priya,

    What an interesting name!

    Happy birthday and I would love to get into the drawing to receive a copy of your new book, EXIT THE ACTRESS. I found out about it on Guide to Literary Agents and popped right on over.

    Best wishes with it, although it sounds like you're doing swimmingly already!

    All Best,

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Belated Happy Birthday. It came while I was heavy jet-lagged. Hope you had a good one!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!