Friday, February 19, 2010

New Lines

New city (Los Angeles), new book (The Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton), new hair color (more bronze less beach), new time zone (8hrs to London, 3 to DC, 2 to Kauai=messy), new shoes (no snow=flip flops), new first lines?

I like them. They feel sticky and sure of themselves as good words hitched together sometimes do. They have gumption and oomph and I hope I will still like them in fourteen months when I am supposed to finish writing this book (yikes). Last time the first lines arrived at the beginning and stayed to the end--literally as they open and close the book. Perhaps unimaginative but necessary. This time? Fingers crossed!

6 comments:

  1. priya i just LOVE reading your blog. it has inspired me to perhaps start a writing blog myself, but i worry that if i write things out for the public (even if no one reads them!), i will somehow lose interest in my endeavors. do you find this happens? i am assuming not, since otherwise you would have abandoned such a blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i definitely find that happens! it happened this week! i feel like i send my words strapped into tiny spaceships out into the world and they get lost! i also drown in all the bloggy/website-y info out there--overwhelming!!!!!!!!!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. i get totally encouraged when you leaving me wonderful notes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. and yet i cannot spell... curious c

    ReplyDelete
  5. it is a good thing you have an editor! hee hee... i don't think i'd ever in my life write historical fiction, but i just love hearing about your process! so fascinating, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. at this point... drowning in paper, terrified of getting dates/facts/times/people/pets/streets/paintings/shoes/hats wrong--i would not recommend it xx

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment! I would love to hear from you!